Henna powders may be mixed a number of ways, so we encourage you to explore the various recipes available on the internet. Mix and match different colors with different types of essential oils to find your favorite pairings. Our favorite basic recipe and directions are included here for your resource.
Henna Tattoo Paste
7 T. Henna powder (Dark, Brown, Red, or Neutral)
2T. Sugar (to help henna stick to your skin)
2T. Lavender, Eucalyptus, or Tea Tree Essential Oil (to darken color)
½ -2T. Distilled Water
Mixing Bowl & Spoon
1 Square of Cling Wrap
1 Clear Cone “Carrot” Style Bag
1 Square of Mylar or Cello for Henna Cone
6” Raffia Ribbon
- Mix dry ingredients (henna and sugar) together until combined well.
- Add ½ T. of water to the dry ingredients and stir until a thick lumpy paste is formed.
- Cover the thick lumpy mixture with cling wrap and let sit 15 minutes to absorb liquid.
- Add another ½ T. of water to the mixture and stir well.
- Add 2T of Essential Oil and stir well.
- Cover and let sit 1 hour.
- Mix until all lumps are gone and you have a smooth, silky, slightly sticky mixture.
- Add mixture to a clear carrot bag, roll down and tape securely and set aside. (Some users prefer to strain their mixture through panty hose into the carrot bag to ensure no lumps remain that may clog the opening during this step.)
- Prepare henna cones or use pre-made henna cones (see separate insert with instructions on this).
- Snip a small piece of the tip off your clear carrot bag full of prepared henna paste.
- Place the snipped off end of your clear carrot bag into your henna cone and squeeze the henna paste into your cone leaving about ⅓ of the cone empty.
- Squeeze down the henna cone contents and twist slightly like a cake decorating bag.
- Securely tie the filled henna cone off tightly with Raffia ribbon.
- Wash the area with soap that you wish to apply your mixture to on your skin.
- Apply your henna tattoo design to your skin and allow it to dry for 2-3 hours then scrape off excess paste. Do not wash your skin for 24 hours. Hand sanitizer will greatly fade your henna design.